- This event has passed.
Innovation – An Industry Perspective
11th March 2019 @ 2:00 PM - 6:30 PM
With India among the fastest growing economies in the world, the next big challenge is to sustain that level of growth for a longer period of time. Ensuring future economic growth will require solutions that are more creative than any we have seen so far. Recognizing the role of innovation as a key driver of growth and prosperity for India, NITI Aayog is organizing a roundtable that will deliberate on the challenges faced by the industry and how government can designinnovation policies in a way that they can help the most vulnerable groups of the society and make the growth process inclusive.
The roundtable will convene experts and thinkers with the objective of developing concrete policy recommendations to promote innovation-led economic development in India. The discussion will focus on advancing the following set of objectives:
- Discuss how the innovative capacities of regions differ across the country and what the reasons for the same.
- Discuss the challenges faced by startups and how they can help the nation in the transition towards a knowledge-based economy.
- Discuss a systemic policy package that the Indian government can adopt based on the global experiences that can attract foreign investments and deliver inclusive and sustainable growth.
14:00 – 14:05 – Introductory Address
14:05 – 14:20 – Keynote by Shri. Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog
14:20 – 14:30 – Keynote by Shri V.K. Saraswat, Member, NITI Aayog
14:30 – 14:40 – Keynote by Shri Yaduvendra Mathur, Additional Secretary, NITI Aayog
14:40 – 15:40 – Discussion 1: Examining the Innovative Capacity of Indian Regions
This session will discuss the about the enablers of innovation such as universities as engines of development, the linkages between industry and academia, overall business environment, research and development expenditure, infrastructural facilities etc. and how they differ across regions. It will also shed light on the relationship between innovation and economic development and innovative capabilities of regions can drive growth and prosperity.
- Avinash Pandey, CEO, ABP News Network
- Rishikesha Krishnan, Director, IIM Indore
- Kunal Kumar, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
- Manisha Kapoor, Senior Researcher, The Institute for Competitiveness
- Sadhna Relia, Scientist & Head, DST
- Yatish Rajawat, Editor-in-Chief, DNA
15:40 – 16:00 – Keynote by Shri R. Ramanan, Mission Director, Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog
16:00 – 17:00 – Discussion 2: India’s IP Environment
The Indian IPR system is shapedby a number ofpolicies, laws, and international agreements that provide protections for domestic rights holders as well as how the country views its global obligations. The two main aspects of India’s approach to intellectual property that have been at the crux of discussions between the government and the industry, are: Section 3(d) of the Patents (Amendment) Act of 2005 and the propensity to grant compulsory licenses. This session will deliberate on these issues and devise measures for incentivizing the industry.
- Komal Kalha, US Embassy Senior Counsel
- Jyotsna Ghoshal, Senior Director – Corporate Affairs, MSD Pharmaceuticals
- Linda, M. Distlerath, Deputy Vice President-Global Alliances, PhRMA
- Dr. Ratna Devi, CEO & Co-founder, Dakshama Health
- Aman Gupta, Managing Partner & Founder, SPAG
- Dr. Ajay Sharma, Director, OPPI
- Malathi Lakshmikumaran, Executive Director, Lakshmikumaran and Sridharan Attorney
- Ujjwala Jeremiah, Cell for IPR Promotion and Management
17:00 – 18:00 – Discussion 3:The Startup Ecosystem
Startups have a crucial role to play in countries that are transitioning from a factor-based economy to a knowledge-based economy. The startup culture makes these companies a powerful engine of open innovation, which can help the innovation ecosystem. This session will talk about the challenges faced by startups and how government can help them to grow that can lead to the development of the innovation ecosystem in India.
- Tonmoy Singhal, CEO, Mettl
- Nakul Kumar, Co-Founder & COO, Cashify
- Rameesh Kailasam, CEO, Indiatech
- Prerna Mukharya, CEO, Outline India
- Bidisha Pillai, CEO, Save the Children
- Yatish Rajawat, Editor-in-Chief, DNA
- Shilpa Mahna Bhatnagar, CEO – Evoxyz Technologies
- Rajesh Razdan, Founder and Chief Evangelist
18:00 18:15 – Questions & Answers
18:15 – 18:20 – Concluding remarks by Dr. Amit Kapoor, Honorary Chairman, Institute for Competitiveness, India