With support from the Ford Foundation CUTS International is implementing a project titled ‘Strengthening the Discourse on Economic Policy to Generate Good and Better Jobs in India’. Dr. Amit Kapoor was a part of the webinar series organised by CUTS on May 1, 2020.
Based on evidences from the field, the Project aims to generate knowledge about necessary conditions for creating Good and Better Jobs in labour-intensive sectors and relay it to policy influencers and policy-makers to strengthen communication amongst them. The knowledge being generated is relevant to multiple government departments, civil society groups, industry associations, trade unions, rights group, etc.
The underlying idea of the webinar is to discuss and discern structural issues faced by the Textiles & Clothing Sector in India. This discussion becomes more important in light of the aggravation caused to these structural challenges by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The discussion will focus on the following major points:
- Present status of jobs in different components of the Textiles & Clothing value chains in India
- Possibilities of ensuring sustainability of enterprises with adequate wages and social security for workers
- Way forward for the economic resilience of enterprises and socio-economic resilience of workers post COVID-19 pandemic
3:35 PM – 3:45 PM: Agenda Welcome and Introductory Remarks by Pradeep S Mehta, Secretary General , CUTS International
3:45 PM – 4:30 PM: Presentation on the major findings of the report on Textiles & Clothing Sector in India by Bipul Chaterjee, Executive Director, CUTS International
4:30 PM – 4:55 PM: Panel Discussion
- Arun Maira, Former Member, Planning Commission of India
- Amit Kapoor, Honorary Chairman, Institute for Competitiveness
- Sabina Dewan, President & Executive Director, Just Jobs Network
- Rituparna Chakraborty, Executive Vice-President, TeamLease
- Radhicka Kapoor, Fellow, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations
- R Nagaraj, Professor, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research
- Surya K Gupta, Director and Advisor, Raymond Ltd.
- Samar Verma, Program Officer, Ford Foundation, India Office
4:55 PM – 5:00 PM: Concluding Remarks by Sarthak Shukla, Assistant Policy Analyst, CUTS International